Dubai raises minimum age for e-scooter users to 16
The minimum age to use e-scooters in Dubai will be raised to 16 from the first quarter of this year, a senior official from the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has confirmed.
The move will improve the safety of e-scooter users and other road users.
Executive Order 208-2020, issued March 23, 2020, stipulates that riders must be at least 14 years old to use e-scooters (except in RTA-designated pilot areas, where the minimum age is now 16).
The infrastructure works for e-scooters in the new district are progressing as planned. In accordance with best international traffic practices and traffic safety standards, e-scooters' The placement of traffic and directional signs is nearing completion."
Riders and tenants must adhere to the rules and regulations established by the RTA, which are consistent with traffic regulations. They govern the use of e-scooters and related traffic safety regulations. , such as helmet wearing. Electric scooters must be parked in designated places.As mentioned in the app designed for operators, they must comply with and allow All directives and regulations pertaining to the region where the e-scooter is to be taken," the RTA stressed.
In a previous interview, Dubai Police said they would enforce laws on e-scooters, especially those driving on sidewalks in traffic streams or markets and narrow roads, as they endanger their own lives and those of others. Police say e-scooters should always operate on designated roads, not major roads.
The rules are clear at a glance:
Executive Order 208-2020, issued March 23, 2020, available on the RTA website, states:
1. The speed of the electric scooter must be limited to 20 kilometers per hour.
2. Electronic scooters must have headlights and taillights.
3. There should be a warning device (similar to car horns and bicycle bells).
4. E-scooters should have functional wheels.
5. Front and rear wheels must have brakes.
6. Must be able to withstand extreme weather conditions in the UAE.
7. Must meet the requirements, technical specifications and standards established by the competent authority.
E-scooter passenger rules:
1. Riders must be at least 14 years old (except in RTA-designated pilot areas, where the minimum age is now 16).
2. Riders must wear protective helmets.
3. E-scooters must only be parked in designated parking lots.
4. The parking or use of e-scooters shall not obstruct traffic or pedestrians.
5. Riders must keep a safe distance from bicycles/pedestrians.
6. Riders must not carry any items that may cause the electric scooter to lose its balance.
7. Riders must not carry any other riders (e-scooters for personal/personal use).
8. Follow rules, regulations and road signs.
9. Riders must report major and minor accidents to the competent authorities, regardless of whether such accidents cause any damage.
10. Riders are not allowed to use headphones while riding the electric scooter.
11. Riders must observe and comply with general safety requirements when riding electric scooters.
12. Riders must not ride electric scooters in a manner that could be dangerous or life-threatening to others.
13. Rides must ride on electric scooters only in designated lanes.
14. Riders must wear appropriate clothing and shoes.